Non-Surgical Orthopedics/Sports Medicine
Watch Dr. Mahooti explain non-surgical orthopedics and the conditions he treats. >>
North Shore Physicians Group's Navid Mahooti, MD, MPH, is a board certified primary care sports medicine specialist who provides cutting edge non-surgical treatments for a wide variety of sports injuries and orthopedic problems. Dr. Mahooti's training is unique, in that he is a primary care physician with fellowship training in sports medicine. He is attuned to the particular needs of active people and strives to educate each patient about his/her condition, treatment options, and prevention strategies.
Dr. Mahooti cares for athletes and active people of all ages and skill levels: from professional to recreational, college to middle school, endurance to multi-sport, and serves as team physician and consultant for local colleges and high schools.
Dr. Mahooti’s main objective is to get you back to the activities you love as safely and quickly as possible. As a current athlete, he knows firsthand the importance of physical activity and how injuries and joint/muscle pain can affect one’s life. Fortunately, the vast majority of injuries and orthopedic problems can be treated effectively without surgery.
Dr. Mahooti is assisted by two certified athletic trainers (ATCs), Kathey Moskal, M.A., A.T.C., and Chris Ciampa, A.T.C., who have over 30 years of combined experience working with athletes and other individuals with a variety of orthopedic and sports medicine needs.
Areas of Expertise
- Painful shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, buttock, knees, legs, ankles and feet.
- Neck and upper back pain (muscular pain in particular)
- Injury prevention
- Ultrasound-Guided injections
- Trigger point injections
- Sacroiliac pain / injections
- Sports-related concussion
Conditions treated by Dr. Mahooti
- Dr. Mahooti treats conditions affecting the shoulders, elbows, wrists,hands, hips, buttock, knees, legs, ankles and feet. He also sees patients with upper back and neck pain.
- He also see athletes with sports-related concussions.
Injections performed by Dr. Mahooti:
Dr. Mahooti understands that many patients have questions and concerns about injection therapy and strives to make the experience as pain-free as possible. He uses ultrasound-guidance which also greatly improves accuracy.
- Cortisone injections, otherwise known as steroid injections or corticosteroid injections
- Trigger point injections for a variety of locations all over the body, including the upper back/neck, shoulders, arms, hips, buttocks, legs, even the abdominal area. (Trigger points, otherwise known as “knots”, are focal areas of muscle pain and tenderness that often cause radiating pain. They are often confused with “sciatica” or “nerve” pain. Trigger point injections are remarkably effective)
- Viscosupplement (“lubricant”) injections for knee osteoarthritis
- Needle Tenotomy with or without Platelet Rich Plasma (“PRP”) for chronic tendon disorders (Achilles tendon, Patellar tendon, Outer hip, Elbow tendons – “Tennis” and/or Golfer’s Elbow)
- Platelet Rich Plasma (“PRP”) injections. Learn more about the procedure
Patient information forms
- If you are a new patient or are an existing patient with a new injury or condition, please print the forms below and bring the completed versions to your appointment. Please complete a new form for each concern. If you are unable to print, the forms will be available for you to complete when you check in for your appointment.
- New patient sports medicine orthopedic form
- New patient concussion injury form
104 Endicott Street, Suite 104, 978.882.6700